Dalston Lane (West) Conservation Area extension
OPEN Dalston’s response to public consultation
The following comments are responses to Hackney Council’s Draft Appraisal of the proposed Dalston Lane (West) Conservation Area extension and suggest that certain additions be made to it.
The comments are in three parts:
1 Conserving the architectural legacy of Edwin Henry Horne (1843-1915)
2 The Eastern Curve Garden comprises important trees and green spaces
3 Important views, focal points and focal buildings – St Mark’s and Holy Trinity churches
1 Conserving the architectural legacy of Edwin Henry Horne (1843-1915)Edwin Henry Horne, Architect, is known to have been commissioned by the North London Railway to design six of their railway stations - Bow, Hackney, Canonbury, Barnsbury, Camden Town (now called Camden Road) and Highbury & Islington. Two of those stations have survived - Camden Road (1870) which is Grade II Listed by Historic England and Hackney station which is locally listed by the Council.
It has come to light that Edwin Horne was also the architect responsible for the design of many of the buildings constructed in Dalston on land owned by the North London Railway. They were built shortly following the development of the Dalston Junction railway station which opened in 1865.
|Dalston Junction station at the turn of the century|
|Dalston Junction station entrance, with the screen wall extending beyond, above the railway cutting|
Reeves and Sons 1868 Artist’s Colour WorksEdwin Horne designed the original Reeves and Sons 1868 Artist’s Colour Works factory building at 18-24 Ashwin Street. The characteristic red brick banding and decorative stonework again feature in the designs.
This notice of tenders received for the building, which appeared in the London City Press on January 18 1868, show that Edwin Horne was the appointed architect.
2-14 Ashwin StreetThe houses on the west side Ashwin Street (odd numbers), neigbouring Shiloh Pentecostal Church, were destroyed by wartime bombing in November 1940 and their site remains undeveloped today. The terrace of houses on the east side, 2-14 Ashwin Street, were designed by Edwin Horne.
|The building application to construct 2-8 Ashwin Street was lodged by Edwin Horne’s brother, the surveyor Arthur Horne, in 31 May 1867.|
|The building application to construct 10-14 Ashwin Street was lodged by Edwin Horne’s brother, the surveyor Arthur Horne, on 19 October 1870|
|2 - 8 Ashwin Street when they were still occupied|
Number 8 Ashwin Street on the day following the 2008 fire – characteristic red brick banding, decorative stonework lintels and corbelled brickwork forming the eaves all feature.
|The design features of 10-14 Ashwin Street are more elaborate than the
more modest features of the earlier houses in the terrace at 2-8 Ashwin
3, 5, 7 and 9 Dalston Lane
|Number 3 was demolished. Number 5 is locally listed. |
Decorative stonework and tiling feature on the ground floor exteriors of 5-9 Ashwin Street
The Railway Tavern, 11 Dalston Lane
The application to build a public house on the junction of Ashwin Street at 11 Dalston Lane was lodged on 1 October 1868 by Chas Acock, who gave his address as 8 Ashwin Street which had been designed by Edwin Horne the previous year. His plan references Mr Turner’s shops at 3-9 Dalston Lane, also designed by Edwin Horne. Chas Acock was later connected with the Old Ship Inn at 2 Sylvester Path, Hackney as Incoming Licensee in 1875 East London Observer.
The Dalston Junction Railway Tavern has recently been refurbished by the Council. The Railway Tavern was built on North London Railway land and its architect is likely to have been Edwin Horne (to be verified) who was known to have designed in the Italianate, also called the Venetian Gothic, style ( for example Camden Road overground station pictured below).
|1870 Camden Road overground station –Grade II Listed by Heritage England|
Summary - the architectural legacy of Edwin Henry HorneVarious sites in Dalston town centre owned by the North London Railway were developed between, 1867 and 1870, to the designs of Edwin Henry Horne. The Reeves and Sons Artist’s Colour Works factory at 18-24 Ashwin Street, the houses at 2-14 Ashwin Street and at 3-9 Dalston Lane were all designed by him. There is some evidence to suggest he also designed The Dalston Junction Railway Tavern at 11 Dalston Lane and may also have had a hand in the designs for the 1865 Dalston Junction Railway station. Edwin Henry Horne later, from 1870, designed six railway stations for the North London Railway in the Venetian Gothic style, and the architectural heritage of his two surviving stations has been recognized, particularly by the Grade II Listing of Camden Road station. His career was cut short by illness but in Dalston we retain some fine examples of his work which are worthy of recognition and conservation.
We are particularly grateful to Jann Burrows, Edwin Henry Horne’s great-great niece, for the information she has provided concerning the architect and for her contributions to our knowledge of our local architectural heritage
2 The Eastern Curve Garden comprises important trees and green spaces
We consider that it is a serious oversight to have failed to illustrate the Eastern Curve Garden on the Dalston Lane (West) Conservation Area Map as comprising “Important trees and green spaces”.
The land occupied by the Eastern Curve Garden comprises historic open space which was formerly a railway cutting. Trains emerged from the Dalston Junction station tunnel under Dalston Lane and continued along the eastern curve railway line to join the North London Line travelling east.
The Garden forms part of the recognised Dalston Cultural Quarter and contributes significantly to “an exceptional community space, enjoyed by residents and visitors to Dalston”
Dr Robey’ Appraisal describes the Garden as follows:
“Located just off busy Dalston Lane, the Eastern Curve Garden is a managed community space that is hidden behind hoarding next to the Hackney Peace Carnival mural. Visitors enter through a wooden doorway into a peaceful haven. The garden is built on a disused railway line, derelict for over 30 years and is an ever-changing community space, where plants, trees and grass contribute to a diverse ecology. It was developed as part of Making Space in Dalston, a Design for London-funded project to improve public space in the area. It won a Hackney Design Award in 2010 and Making Space for Dalston won the 2011 Landscape Institute's President's Award. The garden is included along with a further portion of land north of Springfield House that follows the line of the old railway.”
|The poor quality of green space provided for families in over 530 homes in the recently built Dalston Square illustrates the importance of conserving the Eastern Curve Garden as part of the character and bio-diversity of the area|
3 Important views, focal points and focal buildings
We consider that the view from Dalston Lane north out of the Conservation Area to St Mark’s church tower of 1880, framed by the buildings of Ramsgate Street, is an important view linking Dalston Lane visually, as it does, to the Grade II* listed church at the heart of the adjoining St Mark’s Conservation area.
|A view of the tower of the 1887 Holy Trinity Grade II listed church can be seen from Dalston Lane south along Woodland Street and along Beechwood Road|
We consider that the views from Dalston Lane south out of the Conservation Area to the Grade II Holy Trinity church are important views linking, as they do, two areas of comparable historic development across land redeveloped more recently for low rise Council housing.
Post a Comment
Please leave comments that will add to the debate! We will not publish comments which are abusive or repetitive.
If we do not publish your comment and you are unhappy, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact details.